ADULT ART CAMPS
2021 MIDSUMMER ART CAMPS...FOR ADULTS!
Instructor: Deborah Shaw
Location: 713 High Street - across the street from the gallery
After each week of Midsummer Art Camps for youth, we're offering a fun twist for adults on Saturdays from July 17 through August 7. Adult camps will be the same subject as the week's preceding youth art camps, but geared for adults
Price for Adult Art Camps includes light hors d’oeuvres and complimentary glass of wine or beer per person. Must be over 21 or accompanied by a parent or guardian who is.
• CLAY PINCH POTS: SAT, JUL 17 | 1-5pm – $75
Learn a simple, ancient method of creating a beautiful and functional piece of clay pottery! Pinch pots have roots in our most ancient ancestors and are still a viable art form today. We’ll take you through the steps, beginning with simply learning how to manipulate the clay, working them into simple pots, adding bases, decorating and embellishing them.
• COLLAGRAPH PRINTMAKING: SAT, JUL 24 | 1-5pm – $75
Collagraph prints are part treasure hunt, part collage, and part printmaking process. In this camp, textural and three-dimensional materials are applied to a rigid substrate, inked, placed on thick paper, then put through a press or burnished to create beautiful, textural prints. Basic design and composition concepts needed to complete the project will be taught as well. Campers will complete one to two collagraph “plates” and up to three prints of each one.
• DRAWING ABSTRACTION: SAT, JUL 31 | 1-5pm – $75
In all true abstract work, there is a relationship between the 'real' world and the abstracted image. In order to abstract, you need something to abstract from. This is where our art campers come in! Campers will be provided with drawing instruction, including basic principles of design and composition needed to complete the project. They will then be guided through up to 3 steps of abstractions until they have created a finished abstract drawing. Campers may complete one, and up to three, final abstract drawings depending upon prior skill and speed.
• WIRE SCULPTURE: SAT, AUG 7 | 1-5pm – $75
Get wired in this imagination-bending camp that teaches basic 3-dimensional design principles needed to complete the project using various metal wires. Campers will explore the work of Alexander Calder who pioneered modern wire sculpture in the early to mid 1900’s, as well as others. Utilizing wire, wire cutters, and pliers will help develop fine motor dexterity as well as visualizing and expressing in three-dimensional space.
- Registration includes all material and supplies.
- All classes have a 10 student maximum, unless noted otherwise.
- Drinking water will be provided.
- Aprons, tote bags, and SCTX Art Kits are available for purchase.
- A liability waiver with emergency contact information must be completed and returned prior to beginning of the camp, or your camper may not be allowed to participate.
- We understand that true emergencies happen. If you have one of those, please call to let us know in advance when possible. Otherwise, for each camper who is left longer than 15 minutes past the end time for the camp, there will be an overtime charge of $50.
- SCHOLARSHIPS: Would you like to help a child attend art camp who cannot afford it? Scholarships are available to purchase in the form of gift certificates. These are not tax deductible, but they will encourage self confidence and foster imagination and creative solution seeking skills in a young person.
- LOCALS DISCOUNT: Locals with a Comfort address are entitled to a 15% discount on camp registrations. Use the coupon code COMFORTCAMP15 (if you use the coupon code but do not have a Comfort address, you will be charged for the portion you did not pay). Not valid in conjunction with the Early Bird Discount. Not valid for purchase of merchandise, scholarships, gift certificates, or other classes and workshops.
All camps will be conducted at 713 HIGH STREET, COMFORT, TX 78013 – across the street from our gallery (716 High St).